Note: The initial list of cotton gins that have operated in Murray County was
created by computer searching the text of
Murray County Heritage.
Anyone knowing of other gins should send details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Does anyone have photographs of any of the Murray County cotton gins?
Treadwell Gin. Built by Smith Treadwell. Located beside the Treadwell Grist Mill, on the Conasauga, near present-day Highway 52.
A cotton gin existed on the Coosawattee. Anyone have details?
John Bagley owned a gin near the Methodist Church.
John Bagley reportedly owned a second gin located near Casey Springs.
Lowery Gin, located on Fort Street between First Avenue and the Railroad. Began operation in 1909.
Amos Keith owned a cotton gin, on the Old Federal Road, north side of Mill Creek, at the southeast corner of Highway 411 and Fourth Avenue. Building was torn down in 1977 to clear site for First National Bank.
John White Harris owned the first cotton gin in this area. Anyone have details?
Knight Gallman owned a gin near Sardis Church of God, present-day Highway 225.
John Burks owned a gin east of present-day Highway 225, south of the Creek. Anyone have details?
Another gin existed near the post office. Anyone have details?
Euclid Waterhouse II built a cotton gin.
A man named Johnson owned a gin located between the Old Federal Road and the railroad tracks. The business was later owned by someone named Logan. Anyone have the details?
A cotton gin was located near the depot. Anyone have details?
Gregory Gin, across from Vann House, southeast corner of Highway 52 and Cleveland Road. This gin was owned at various times by Owens; Phipps; Vonberg; Anderson & Huffstetler; Jim & Henry Bishop; and finally by Gregory who owned it in 1950. Major fires are known to have occurred here in 1927, 1929, and 1933.
Pendley Gin, on Newtown Road (present-day Highway 225), south of Spring Place Baptist Church, opposite side of the road. Next to Vonberg Gin.
Pendley Gin, located on northwest corner of East Fort and Pendley Streets. Closed about 1908.
Vonberg Gin, on Newtown Road (present-day Highway 225), south of Spring Place Baptist Church, opposite side of the road. Next to Pendley Gin.
A cotton gin stood on the southwest corner of Ellijay Street and Cleveland Road. The site was cleared to build Spring Place Grammar School in 1920s. Anyone have details?
Marcus Bagley and Fred Tolar co-owned a gin. Anyone have details?
| || || |