HOTELS AND EARLY MOTELS
Note: The initial list of hotels and early motels in Murray County was created by computer searching the text of Murray County Heritage.
The list will be corrected and expanded as museum visitors send new information and/or old photographs.
James Edmondson Hotel, 1830s.
The Chester Inn. General Winfield Scott lived at this hotel while overseeing the removal of the Cherokees in 1838. Building was torn down in 1900.
Temple Hotel (mentioned in news article 1899). Later known as Shields Hotel. Burned in 1914.
Bond Johnson Hotel. Operated by Fannie McGhee Johnson. Burned in 1909.
Shields Hotel, originally named Temple Hotel. Burned in 1914.
Cohutta Springs Hotel, built 1880s, operated by the Pierce Family.
Another Cohutta Springs Hotel opened in 1916, had 10 rooms.
Peeples Hotel, near the depot.
Pierce Hotel, built 1904(?). Originally a three-story building with 7 rooms to rent. Later owned by Terry family.
Mountain View Hotel, built by John Clements, later became a private home. Burned in 1940s.
The Smith Hotel, built by Lum Smith in early 1900s. Had 15 rooms.
Sallie Grave's Hotel.
Thomas Epperson Hotel, early 1900s.
What is name of the old motel at Tennga? Still standing?
DeSoto Hotel, built 1907. First managers were Mr. & Mrs. Ed Johnson. Closed in 1940s. Building was torn down in 1950s to make room for new First Baptist Church.
Wright Hotel, built 1908. Later called Chatsworth Hotel. Built by Thomas & Laura (Holbrook) Wright. Hotel had 17 rooms to rent. Now owned by Whitfield-Murray County Historical Society, the hotel has been preserved.
Colonial Pines Motel, opened 1930s (?)
J. Fletcher Charles Tourist Camp, opened 1930s
Adco Motel opened 1950s.
Chief Vann Motel opened 1950s.
Fort View Motel opened 1950s.
Honeysuckle Hotel. Near present-day Hardees Restaurant.
P & W Camp. Paul & Willard. Site of present-day Hardees Restaurant.
| || || |