VANN HOUSE OWNERS
Members of the Vann family lived in the house until 1835, when Joe Vann's family was forced from the property, never to return.
In 1832 Thomas Gurley, Revolutionary veteran from Warren County drew land lot #224, 9th District, 3rd section of Cherokee County in the 1832 land lottery. The 160 acres lot included the house and improvements of Joseph Vann.
1837, Alexander Shotwell bought the lot and house from J. R. and Jane Brooks, administrators for the estate of Thomas Gurley. Shotwell immediately sold one third of the lot containing the house, kitchen, barn and orchard to Spencer Riley, the first white owner to live in the house.
In 1838 Spencer Riley deeded the property to Roger MaCarthay (Deed Book C, p. 305).
1840 MaCarthay sold the property to the Bank of the State of Georgia. (Deed Book F, p. 10)
1840 Bank deeded property to joint owners, Benjamin Snider and Henry Weed. (Deed Book H, p. 44).
1849 James Edmondson acquired the property but the deed was not recorded until 1852, when he mortgaged the place.
1863 William H. Tibbs bought the property from Edmondson. (Deed Book L, p. 142)
1867 Tibbs deeded the place to his wife, Lavinia Tibbs and Jacob Tibbs, believed to have been his son.
In 1875, Jacob and Lavinia Tibbs sold the house to John Bryant. (Deed Book M, p. 353)
1877 Bryant sold the property to Oscar and Esther Goins. (Deed Book N, p. 106)
In 1895 Mrs. Thomas (Nannie) Dill became the owner.
1901 Mrs. Dill sold most of the property to three men: C. T. Owens, John W. Harris, and L. D. Russell to be used as the right of way and depot of the Dalton and Alaculsy Railroad. The railroad never materialized and in 1903, Harris and Russel transferred to Owens their interest in the property.
1906 Mrs. Dill and Mr. Owens sold the house to D. D. Kemp. Owens kept one acre with the mill on it.
In 1914 Mr. Kemp sold the place to C. E. Dooley. The deed was not recorded until 1917.
1917 Dooley sold the property to J. W. Sellers.
In 1920 J. W. Sellers sold the Vann property to Dr. J. E. Bradford.
The Georgia Historical Commission bought it in 1952.
Note: This listing is based on one compiled by Tim Howard and Miss Agnes Kemp. It was published in a book titled If the Chief Vann House Could Speak, by Lela Latch Lloyd, copyright 1980.
| || || |