MURRAY COUNTY CHARACTERS
We have all known someone that has died in the prime of life. People question the loss of these young lives with questions of why this happened and what a loss it was. Such was the case of Miss Lucy Hill however her memory will not soon be forgotten.
The tragic event occurred just one month shy of Lucy's nineteenth birthday. Lucy was born in 1879 and had been a student at the Sumach Seminary. She was continuing her formal education at Centenary College in Cleveland, Tennessee at the time of her death. Lucy was on her way back from Dr. Price's in the Sumach community with medicine for her beloved parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Hill. The frightened horse returned home without its young rider and Willis, Lucy's brother, went in search of her. He found her not far from home already dead from her injuries. She had a crushed skull, broken arm and dislocated back. Miss Hill was thrown over the horse's head and crushed by the horse.
After her death, Mr. Hill wanted to do something to honor his daughter's memory. He felt that the most appropriate way to do that was for a school to be built in her honor. The Lucy Hill Institute was erected in Spring Place, Georgia. After exclusive use as an educational facility the building became a private residence. This building was torn down in 1930 and a gymnasium was built in its place. Carl B. Davis, a merchant in Spring Place, supplied materials at cost to build the gym. This building still served to honor the wishes of Mr. Hill as a property used for school purposes. Other gentleman in the community including Paul Smith, Hill Hannah, Luke Ballew and Ted Kemp helped with the construction.
The gymnasium burned in the 1960's and a picnic shed was erected in its spot by the Spring Place Ruritan Club. The land is still owned by the Murray County Board of Education and used for school and community activities. It is affectionately known as the "Lucy Hill school site" or the "old gym site."
Murray County Characters
| || || |