OLD SPRING PLACE METHODIST CHURCH
ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
This is the Oldest Public-Use Building in Murray County.
What began as an Indian Mission in the early 1830s evolved into a Methodist church with a regular congregation when the Cherokees were forcibly removed from Murray County in 1838.
The original building was situated near the old Moravian Mission but in 1851 the congregation built a brick structure on Elm Street in Spring Place. After this building burned, the congregates built a wood replacement on the same foundation–probably in 1875.
This building served the Methodist congregation for 100 years. In 1976 they built a new church on Cleveland Highway north of the Vann House.
Recognizing that the vacated church was the oldest public-use building in Murray County, the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society entered into an agreement with the congregation to buy and preserve it.
Today the Old Spring Place Methodist Church has preserved the old sanctuary and the building houses much Murray County memorabilia, including numerous items of specific historical interest related to Spring Place.
NOTICE: THE OLD SPRING PLACE METHODIST CHURCH IS OWNED AND OPERATED BY THE WHITFIELD-MURRAY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY. ALL VISITS MUST BE ARRANGED IN ADVANCE AS THE PROPERTY HAS NO SCHEDULED OPEN HOURS.
| || || |