Murray County MuseumMurray County Museum
Home Page | Planned Exhibits | Research Support | Want to Help? | Why a Museum in Cyberspace? | Updates
Carter's QuarterBarbed WireCherokee Removal FTCivil WarCoulter Dolls
County OfficialsDeath CertificatesEarly ChenilleEarly DoctorsEarly Newspapers
Fort MountainFree Negroes 1870GatewaysHistorical County LinesHistorical Markers
History of MurrayKorean WarLandmarks LostListsMemoirs of a Slave
Methodist ChurchMurray ArtistsMurray CemeteriesMurray CharactersMurray Census 1834
Murray FamiliesMurray Heritage BookMurray High SchoolMurray History 1911Murray Memories
Murray Post OfficesMurray QuiltsMurray SchoolsOld News StoriesPhotographs
Planned DisplaysPoemsPrized PossessionsRoad to Dalton 1950Rolling Stores
Roseville PotterySchool ValentinesStained GlassTime CapsulesVann House
Vann SlavesVeterans MemorialVietnam WarVintage ADsWar Dead
Wood VasesWorld War IWorld War IIWright Hotel 
 Murray County Museum  
MURRAY COUNTRY FAMILIES

Charles L. Henry


Charles L. Henry, a rising member of the Murray county bar, residing at Spring Place, and a member of an old and respected family in Murray county, was born near Sumach in Murray county, on March 23, 1872. He was educated in the schools of his neighborhood, and at Sumach seminary, and having completed his literary studies he formed the resolution of adopting the practice of law as a profession. He began the study of law in his native county, but desiring to avail himself of the best means with which to become proficient in the intricacies of that science, he pursued a course of study with A. P. Haggard of Dayton, Tenn., and later the law department of Cumberland university, at Lebanon. He was graduated from that institution in June, 1893, having, in May of that year, been admitted to the bar before R. P. McLean.

Returning to Murray county he was regularly admitted to the bar by Hon. Thomas W. Milner, presiding judge of the Cherokee circuit, at Spring Place, where he located, and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. Mr. Henry is a young man of fine promise, sterling integrity, excellent habits, and of very considerable natural and acquired abilities. He has already taken an advanced and enviable position at the Murray county bar.

Mr. Henry is the son of Rev. Samuel H. Henry, an old resident of Murray county, who was born in Polk count)', Tenn., and came to Georgia about 1850. He studied for the ministry, was duly ordained, and for upward of forty years has been pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian church in Murray county. He settled on a plantation near Sumach, where he now resides, and is the founder of the Sumach seminary, a widely known and justly celebrated institution of learning in north Georgia, and in the interest of which he has labored zealously for many years. He married Miss Rosie Harris, a daughter of Nicholas Harris of Murray county, and reared a family of ten children: Nancy, wife of John Haggard of Texas; William L. and John T., a physician of Murray county; Mattie, wife of James McEntire; Nicholas, George R., physician, residing at Memphis, Tex,; Rev. James R., at present pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian church in Pittsburgh, Pa., a graduate of the Cumberland university, Tenn., Union Theological seminary, New York city, and who finished his studies at Oxford, England,a ripe scholarly man of distinguished talents; Onie, a graduate of Peabody Normal college, Tennessee, in 1894, where she took the first honors of her class; Eliza, who married John P. Gregory of Murray county and Charles L.

Note this was written in 1895 from Memoirs of Georgia, 1895.

 



Previous PageMurray County Families

  Murray County Museum 
Copyrighted 2005 - 2017 Murray County Museum - All Rights Reserved