Murray County MuseumMurray County Museum
Home Page | Planned Exhibits | Research Support | Want to Help? | Why a Museum in Cyberspace? | Updates
Carter's QuarterBarbed WireCherokee Removal FTCivil WarCoulter Dolls
County OfficialsDeath CertificatesEarly ChenilleEarly DoctorsEarly Newspapers
Fort MountainFree Negroes 1870GatewaysHistorical County LinesHistorical Markers
History of MurrayKorean WarLandmarks LostListsMemoirs of a Slave
Methodist ChurchMurray ArtistsMurray CemeteriesMurray CharactersMurray Census 1834
Murray FamiliesMurray Heritage BookMurray High SchoolMurray History 1911Murray Memories
Murray Post OfficesMurray QuiltsMurray SchoolsOld News StoriesPhotographs
Planned DisplaysPoemsPrized PossessionsRoad to Dalton 1950Rolling Stores
Roseville PotterySchool ValentinesStained GlassTime CapsulesVann House
Vann SlavesVeterans MemorialVietnam WarVintage ADsWar Dead
Wood VasesWorld War IWorld War IIWright Hotel 
 Murray County Museum  
Old News Stories
Camp Meeting, 1875

From Calhoun Weekly Times
Calhoun, Ga.
Nov. 11, 1875

CAMP MEETING

In the afternoon of last Saturday, we yielded to the persuasions of one of our young acquaintances and left town at 3:30 for the Murray camp grounds, where we had been informed was in progress a very interesting camp meeting. We enjoyed the journey, as we moved behind a spirted clay-bank along one of the prettiest roads in this section. We reached the place we had been impressed was our destination—Casey's Camp Ground—fourteen miles from this place—but alas! The tents were vacant and the place deserted, and here was a dilemma. Night was quite near, and inquiry only developed that our destination lay yet ten miles further on, being four miles north of the village of Spring Place.

We began a lively drive, and finding that the distance to their county site had grown out of the minds of most of those whom we quizzed, we allowed ourselves to be guided by the sign-board literature, and when we would look up and take a glance at "S.P.M.3," we knew we were measuring our road at a lively gait. Ere the evening shades had gathered and deprived us of a peep at the bold Cohuttah in the distance, an open space of many acres of fine lands gave us a view of the village, which we approached with more than ordinary speed.

After enjoying the best Mr. O'Connor could give us for an evening meal, and procuring from him an excellent animal, we determined upon a consummation of our trip, and reached the camp ground after the evening services had been a little while in progress. We learned there was a good prospect for a good meeting, there being some ten or twelve ministers present, among whom are Revs. Myrick, Seales, Thomas, Gates, Giddins, and Richardson. There are some fifteen or twenty tents, all filled to their full capacity, while the immediate vicinity furnishes numbers of attendants daily.

On Sunday morning there must have been one thousand persons on the ground, many of whom were from Dalton, from our county, and the country above. Before our return, we spent a little while in Spring Place. This village was settled about 1833; now contains about 250 population; has a neat courthouse, two respectable churches and another in course of creation. It has one good school and three or four business houses. It took its name from the number of springs found near the site of the town, which have dried up since the lands around have been cleared.

At the village one of our party inquired after a barber shop. On looking at the sign over the door, he concluded the painter had become frightened after painting the first three letters and failed to complete the sign, so he didn't enter.

We reached home at 6 p.m. on Sunday.

(This article was anonymously written and appeared on page 3 in the August 11, 1875 issue of the Calhoun (Georgia) Weekly Times newspaper.)

Return PageOld News Stories

  Murray County Museum 
© Copyrighted 2005 - 2017 Murray County Museum - All Rights Reserved