Murray County MuseumMurray County Museum
Home Page | Planned Exhibits | Research Support | Want to Help? | Why a Museum in Cyberspace? | Updates
Carter's QuarterBarbed WireCherokee Removal FTCivil WarCoulter Dolls
County OfficialsDeath CertificatesEarly ChenilleEarly DoctorsEarly Newspapers
Fort MountainFree Negroes 1870GatewaysHistorical County LinesHistorical Markers
History of MurrayKorean WarLandmarks LostListsMemoirs of a Slave
Methodist ChurchMurray ArtistsMurray CemeteriesMurray CharactersMurray Census 1834
Murray FamiliesMurray Heritage BookMurray High SchoolMurray History 1911Murray Memories
Murray Post OfficesMurray QuiltsMurray SchoolsOld News StoriesPhotographs
Planned DisplaysPoemsPrized PossessionsRoad to Dalton 1950Rolling Stores
Roseville PotterySchool ValentinesStained GlassTime CapsulesVann House
Vann SlavesVeterans MemorialVietnam WarVintage ADsWar Dead
Wood VasesWorld War IWorld War IIWright Hotel 
 Murray County Museum  
Old News Stories
New Town of Eton Planned, 1906

From The Murray News
published at Spring Place, January 3, 1906.
The Murray News had reprinted the
article from The Dalton Argus.

NEW TOWN SITE FOR MURRAY
Company Organized and Town of "Eton"
Will Be Laid Off on the L. & N.

A number of prominent gentlemen have recently organized the "Eton Town Company" the capital stock of which is $20,000, all of which has been taken.

The company has purchased a large portion of the Dr. J. F. Harris farm in Murray county, near Pleasant Valley church on the new L. & N. Railroad, where they propose to lay off a town site. In a very short time this company expects to inaugurate a sale of this property. The company has every reason to believe that the project will be an eminent success as they have already many applications for building and factory sites.

It is understood that the necessary capital has already been subscribed to erect a large cotton mill.

The men behind this project are enterprising citizens. They are: C. C. Keith, Capt. W. R. Davis, Seth Gregory, Dr. F. M. Jones, Hyden Tyler, John Clements, John D. Harris, of Murray county; Dr. J. F. Harris, Sam P. Maddox, F. T. Hardwick, Dr. S. A. Brown, of Dalton, Ga., and John L. Edmondson and W. C. Carter, of Atlanta, Ga., and others.

The new town site "Eton" is named after Eaton Hall, a famous educational institution in England, which is very appropriate, as Pleasant Valley has been for a number of years the educational center in Murray county. The Dalton Argus.

Return PageOld News Stories

  Murray County Museum 
Copyrighted 2005 - 2017 Murray County Museum - All Rights Reserved